The Christina Hixson opportunity award means everything to me. Not only was it the deciding factor on where I would be getting my college education at but it showed me how not many people have the opportunity to get a scholarship like this.
During the summer when I filled out this scholarship I was only doing It because it was around that time of the year to start filling out scholarships. During that time period I was informed by a close friend of mine and a current 2010 Hixson scholar from Clarke County that I should apply for this scholarship. Nick Bierbrodt helped me get this scholarship and he was the one that brought it top my attention that I needed to apply and take it seriously. Not only did Nick tell me but my principal told me as well that it was an opportunity to really separate yourself from the pack.
When I found out I got the Hixson Scholarship I was shocked. I would never imagine with my luck that I'd get a big scholarship like this. During the regular school year I was offered a $10,000 track scholarship from Grand view University to become a student athlete. Along with that came grants and other financial aid I received. After doing the math I figured out that i would still need to pay an extra $2,000 for tuition including all the loans I applied for and got. At Iowa State I only needed to pay around $300 after receiving the Hixson Scholarship. My love for track is above standards right now. I had the opportunity to run at a D III college and I turned it down. Why would I do that? Mainly because I don't see myself running track after college. I want to find a suitable well paying job that I can support my family with.
To some things up this scholarship means everything to me. I wouldn't be here If i didn't get this scholarship. I would still be doing something i love doing bu with that came financial issues. if Grand View gave me more money than I'd be running there as we speak. Never will I regret taking this scholarship. I now have the chance to run at a division I college. I am in the driver seat now. And I am the one that decides what road to take.
I feel like this scholarship was definitely a deciding factor for almost everyone. I'm glad everyone got it though, it went to good people for sure! (:
ReplyDeleteJessica Overturf